Saturday, September 13, 2008

Learning a foreign language in a classroom doesn't work

I told my students our second class that learning a foreign language in a classroom doesn't work very well. They didn't believe me. It's a good thing for my bank account, but a bad thing for them. It should be obvious after 5 or 6 years of study and they can't even put together a simple sentence. Instead, they blame their teachers or themselves for not being good enough. How sad. They don't even realize it's the fact they are trying to learn English in the classroom that is the problem. Then I proceeded to tell them how to teach themselves. I had to simplify it a lot since their English is at such a low level. Hopefully, they will try some of the things I suggested, primarily listening and reading 24/7, non-stop, ALL DAY LONG with a good dictionary in hand.

No comments: