Saturday, September 20, 2008

Studying Chinese has really changed the way I teach

Before studying Chinese my prep work before classes was pretty poor. I was the kind of teacher who winged it most of the time. These days, I am planning a lot more and trying to use more visual aids. I've also insisted on using the microphone so everyone can hear me clearly, and power point so students can read what I say. I think it's definitely helped the students focus more.

The other cool thing is, I've gained a lot more respect now that students can send me simple messages in Chinese and I can respond to them. I still have a lot of trouble with speaking and listening but reading is getting better. Just think, 2 months ago I could not understand a simple text message in Chinese. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, but I have a long way to go.

I have been slacking with my studies more than I should be, listening to English music a little too much, watching a DVD here and there in English. But, I try to stay on track by reminding myself it's just a waste of time. I already speak English, so what's the point?

No comments: