Friday, February 6, 2009

One more left...

I have one more term left before I leave. I'm leaning towards Taiwan as my next stop but not before taking a semester or two of Chinese at the community college in my hometown.

The problem with where I live now is that the development of the place is pretty bad, there just isn't much to do here. Local entertainment includes, mahjong (májiàng), xiàngqí, sports, and shopping. Only places to take walks without fear of being run over are the two small parks. No expat bars, cafes, or hangouts (there are only a handful of expats here at any point in time). Without a deep knowledge of the Chinese language this place is pretty rough.

The problem with Korea (when I lived there) were the expats (but they now require drug and criminal background checks to work there) and the passive-aggressive attitude towards foreigners. The development was fantastic however, you can watch Hollywood movies in English in the movie theaters. Plenty of expat hangouts, even in the smaller cities, full of western style bars, cafes, all kinds of international restaurants etc. Too much crap to do basically. But, I never really felt comfortable there like I do in China.

Enter Taiwan. You've got the fantastic Chinese culture and language, plus a very pro-western society, plus well developed like Korea.

So, I think I'll go to Taiwan next.

No comments: