Friday, July 11, 2008

Past 4 days...

...I haven't done much. I haven't learned any new characters, words or sentences. But, today my motivation is back. On Tuesday my new Chinese teacher asked me to go to KTV (karaoke). She invited 3 other teachers from our school and after singing for a few hours one of the teachers asked me to go play pool with her. I've come to the realization that unless I learn Chinese my chances of a decent social life are pretty slim. She asked me the dreaded question every male expat is asked, "how long will you stay here?" The question is impossible to answer but this is the best I can do..."If I'm just by myself I can't stay long because it's too boring, maybe just 2 years. But, if I can learn Chinese and make a lot of friends I'd like to stay much longer."

So, yesterday I was too busy brooding over my terrible social life to study Chinese when it hit me. I've got to try harder. So, today my motivation is back and the studying has resumed.

No comments: